Sound and Silence

This week I am writing about two books. We're Going To Need More Wine, by Gabrielle Union and Speak, by Laurie Halse Anderson.

These are books that are not recent reads for me, but have new editions out today. They are both worthy reads.



We're Going To Need More Wine by Gabrielle Union (Paperback, $16.99)*
(paperback edition)


Technically, this isn't a new release. This book originally came out, in hardcover, last year. This was also when the audiobook became available. That is how I "read" this book - by listening to it.


Although getting better with them, I still struggle with concentrating with audiobooks. Find myself needing to be in the right mood and environment for them. It also all depends on the narrator. Lately, I have been having better luck and enjoyment with audiobooks/ memoirs that are narrated by the author themselves. This book is a great example of that.

Yes, Gabrielle Union reads the book to you, and as a result it is like she is having a conversation with you. At least that is how it was to me. And I believe that that was what her intention was for the book, like a friend telling you stories from her life. She talks about almost everything, from her childhood to Hollywood. The good and the bad.

I remember listening to this to and from work last year. I had my old phone that kept having technical difficulties. In that even when I closed out of the app, completely, and unplugged my headphones from the jack, the audiobook would still, and at random, start playing again. Which became a bit awkward when she would start swearing and using terms of language that I will NEVER say. Thankfully, nobody seemed to hear any of it. 
regardless of the minor tech issues, the book was still worth the time and listen. Missed opportunity perhaps, I did not drink any wine while listening to the book...

(The Audiobook on the Libro.Fm app)


For More Gabrielle Union:


Speak (20th Anniversary Edition) by Laurie Halse Anderson (Hardcover, $19.99. Paperback, $10.99)

(paperback edition)


This is a book that I have on what I call my Impact List. The list is a collection of books that found me exactly when I needed them, and they made an impact on my life. Now these books may or may not have stood the test of time, and I may never read them again. But they will always hold a special spot in my heart, and bookshelf.

I first read this book, let me think....nearly 15 years ago?! Honestly, I can't believe that it has been that long. I remember I was in high school. Feeling very lost, very unheard. I think that's partly why I connected with the book.

It made such an impact on me that I kept a copy of the book in my bag, long after I had finished it. Until, I had a very pink drink in my bag that leaked and destroyed everything inside. I was most devastated about the book. I have since bought a replacement copy.

This is the story of a young woman who survives something brutal, finding herself unable to tell anyone, for various reasons. Ultimately this leads her to not talking at all. Through the trials of high school, she finds refuge in art; and a new way to communicate. 

In 2004, Speak, the movie adaptation was released. It started Kristen Stewart as the title role (several years before Twilight et.al.)

(Photo from Wikipedia)

I remember watching it and again, first on tv in bits and pieces, and then finally renting it. Again, the story stuck with me. 

It's been a few years so I can't say for certain anymore, but I want to say that I saw this roughly around the same time (give or take a year) that I was watching the movie adaptation for White Oleander (Another book on my Impact list). Both deal with Coming of age stories of strong female characters who are also pursuing an interest / communicating through art. 

At this time I was, not with very much confidence, testing out some of my artistic side. I still dabble... I.E.: I doodle and write. After reading speak, and seeing the movie, let's just say I was drawing a lot more trees. 
  
The 20th anniversary edition has some new content with some additional pieces written by Ashley C. Ford and Jason Reynolds, along with new writing from Laurie Halse Anderson. There is also a graphic novel version of Speak, illustrated by Emily Carroll. Laurie Halse Anderson also has a new book, Shout, coming out in March, which I am very much looking forward to discussing.

(my advance reader's copy of Shout)


For More Laurie Halse Anderson:




Some other books that came out today:
Annelies by David R Gilham (Hardcover, $26.00)*
The Gilded Wolves by Roshani Chokshi (Hardcover, $18.99) *
Craeft by Alexander Langlands (Paperback, $16.95)*

All of these books are available for purchase through my favourite bookstore: Moon Palace Books


Comments