The Wolves... Are The Moon, At The Table, In The Whale, In My Head.

So last week may have had the Super Blood Wolf Moon ๐ŸŒš, but this week has some super great wolf books. ๐Ÿ˜‰

In this post I am going to write about At The Wolf's Table by Rosella Postorino, and The Wolf in the Whale by Jordanna Max Brodsky.

I will also be writing about Notes on a Nervous Planet by Matt Haig.

(Super Blood Wolf Moon. Credit:Me)

๐Ÿบ

At The Wolf's Table  by Rosella Postorino (Hardcover, $26.99)*

At The Wolf's Table is the story of a young woman named Rosa Sauer, who left Berlin to escape the war, while her husband fights in it. But before she can really settle into a new and quieter lifestyle, she is dragged into the heart of the beast; taste testing Hitler's food for poisoning. There, she joins a dining hall of other women in the same predicament. Each woman with her own story.

This novel was inspired by an article that was published a few years ago in a German newspaper. A woman named Margot Wรถlk, at age 95, finally opened up about her heart wrenching time in the war.

I am about half-way through the story, and so far I have found it very intriguing. I would probably be a further along by now if I had not switched formats a third of the way in, and starting from the beginning again.

I had started with the audiobook, but I found the narrator a bit distracting. I couldn't concentrate on the story itself.

It took a little bit to shake that voice out of my head when reading the print form, but once I did that, the story started picking back up for me. With not quite bated breathe I am a bit anxious as to where the story will lead. Stories set in a war are rarely up beat. But, I will definitely keep reading. I want to see how the rest of the story unfolds, what everyone's fates end up being.

(Photo of My Copy)

If you would like to read more about Margot Wรถlk, here is a Link to the English version of the original article.

๐Ÿบ

The Wolf in the Whale by Jordanna Max Brodsky (Paperback, $15.99)*
I am quite curious about this book. My previous studies in history never quite made it as far back as the original/ explorations of the vikings. But I recently binged all of the BBC America/Netflix series, The Last Kingdom (based on the book series by Bernard Cornwell)*.
(photo taken from Twitter)
This sparked an interest in the time, and has even proven to be a source of inspiration for a story that I have been working on. (Someday I will talk more about my writing.)
Now, I am currently working my way through Vikings on Hulu, and planning on reading this The Wolf in the Whale.
(photo taken from Twitter)
It may have to do with the fact that the shows that I've been watching are so focused on the Vikings and the Anglo-Saxons, but I find it refreshing and exciting to see that this book is set somewhere else entirely. Instead, The Wolf in the Whale is set in what is now known as Newfoundland, Canada; and the Vikings in this story interact with the people native to the land, the Inuit.

As someone who has had a very Anglo-centric education, I look forward to read about a different and equally important culture. I am trying to be better about reading about different experiences and voices.

With each new perspective, I gain a new appreciation to a different side; a different point of view. 

Keep an eye out for another post about this book down the line...
(My Copy)

More Jordanna Max Brodsky:



๐Ÿบ

 Notes on a Nervous Planet by Matt Haig (Paperback, $16.00)*
(Photo of my copy)


I hadn't originally planned on writing about this book, at least not in this point. But, this last week has been a bit rough for me. 



(I blame the cold, bitter weather. and the snow. Amidst other things... but mostly the cold.) ❄️ #polarvortex

I have never really been one for self-help books. In the words of Marie Kondo, they don't "spark joy" for me.

With that said, one book that has helped me, and continues to help me, is Reasons To Stay Alive. Of which Notes on a Nervous Planet is a great follow-up to. I don't think it's necessary to Read Reasons in order to appreciate Notes. But I certainly got a lot out of the first book. 
(Photo of My Copy)

When I was in middle school, I was officially diagnosed with mild ADD and Depression. While I have pretty much trained my ADD to work in my favor, living with depression has been an ever evolving process. 

A big part of my problem, and I am guessing it may be for others as well, is communicating effectively when the darkness sets in. The Wolves, if you will.

The past few years, I have been making steady improvements. Part of that involves getting better at recognizing mental shifts and various signals from my body and environments, but almost a larger part of it, has been communicating this, so that my family can help recognize these too. And Reasons To Stay Alive has been instrumental and invaluable in that.


A few years ago, my anxiety and stress was at what felt like the worst it had been in a really long time. And it was manifesting itself in new and unpredictiable ways. None of my coworkers knew what was going on, and I worked, and struggled to keep it that way. I still do.  It's a self preservation/ work ethic thing.



Anyway, I was at work and we had just received the newly published  Reasons To Stay Alive. Something drew me to it, and I ended up "impulsively" buying it. I had seen a piece from the book online and really connecting with it; not realizing that it was part of this book . That is, Until I randomly flipped through the book and it happened to be the first page that I had landed on.

I think, in part for that, this page will always be my favourite part:
(Photo of my favourite page in Reasons To Stay Alive)
The book has become a reference guide for me and my family. I am able to cite a passage and use it as a talking point. I use it speak to the similarities and differences for me.


And with that communication, that understanding, there came a calming for me. Because I am now able to give them a little bit of insight to what it looks and feels like to be in my head, I feel less isolated. 
(My Copies of Reasons to Stay Alive and Notes on a Nervous Planet)

 More Matt Haig:



๐Ÿบ

Missed opportunity: to talk about a Graywolf Press title. Darn. next time... ๐Ÿบ

Also now available:
The Cerulean by Amy Ewing (Hardcover, $17.99)*
The Love and Lies of Rukhsana Ali by Sabina Khan (Hardcover, $17.99)
Here and Now and Then  by Mike Chen (Hardcover, $26.99)*
99 Percent Mine  by Sally Thorne (Paperback, $15.99)*
King of Scars by Leigh Bardugo (Hardcover, $19.99)
The End of Loneliness  by Benedict Wells (Paperback, $16.00)*
When Sadness is at Your Door by Eva Eland (Hardcover, $17.99)
The Lost Girls of Paris by Pam Jenoff (Paperback, $16.99)*
Love Looks Pretty on You  by Lang Leav (Paperback, $16.99)


Support The Independent Bookstores:
You Can Buy Physical Copies From: Moon Palace Books
If There Is An *, You Can Buy The Audiobook From : Libro.Fm
You Can Buy The Ebook From: Kobo

๐Ÿบ



Comments