A (Slightly) Frozen February Fifth



Hello there! Today, I am writing about the TWO books that I am currently reading. Yes, you read that correctly. I'm reading 2 books right now.

Now, normally, I can really only focus on one book at time, but so far, I seem to being doing okay?

It may be because not only are the stories quite different from each other, but because I have the audiobook for On The Come Up by Angie Thomas and a physical copy of Smoke & Summons by Charlie N Holmberg. 

I'm not exactly sure how long I will be able to keep this up for, so for now, I am rolling with it!




πŸ“š

On The Come Up by Angie Thomas (Hardcover, $18.99)*


On The Come Up  is the story of Bri, an aspiring rapper  who grew up/ lives in the same neighborhood (Garden Heights) as Starr, the main character from Angie Thomas' debut novel, The Hate U Give.

Although not a direct sequel to THUG, there are references (and potentially some cameo appearances?) from the first book. That said, you don't need to read THUG before picking up OTCU, but I would recommend it. Mostly because it is such an incredible and important story.

In fact, I re-read, or rather listened to the audiobook of The Hate U Give this past week in anticipation of On The Come Up.

(I read the hardcover last year. And saw the Movie... bummed about the lack of Oscars...)

(Screenshot of On The Come Up on Libro.fm)

I am really glad that the publishing team for this book decided to keep the narrator the same for the two books, Bahni Turpin. It made the transition from one book to the next that much smoother. 

While I don't feel like Turpin, quite mastered the effortlessness of the raps within the novel, I still recommend giving the book a listen. Or, if you prefer, read the book! 
(a promo enamel pin for  On The Come Up)

 I am only about 1/3 into OTCU, but I will definitely give an update on the book when I finish it, along with some more love for The Hate U Give and Angie Thomas!

Also, exciting news that came out today, On The Come Up is being made into a movie!!!

More Angie Thomas:



For Bahni Turpin:

Twitter

πŸ“š

Smoke & Summons by Charlie N. Holmberg (Hardcover, $24.95, Paperback, $14.95)*



First of all, Shout out to Brianna at Wunderkind PR, for kindly sending me a copy of this book, perfectly timing it with the official publication date!

Interestingly enough, I am approximately  1/3 of the way through this book too. This book, however, has a very different tone and feel to in that On The Come Up.

Definitely a darker fantasy novel; there is a grit and almost grime that I can feel with this story. Buildings packed on top of buildings, leaning in on each other. Smog choking the city...

The main characters are Sandis and Rone. One is a slave and human vessel for a numina (a demon-like being) who is on the run from her master. The other is an agile thief who has been double-crossed and is set to make things right.

I am at the point where their paths have crossed and they are working together.... and that is all that I will say at this moment. 😏

Smoke & Summons is set to be the first in a trilogy, with book #2 coming in April!

(my copy of Smoke & Summons)

For More Charlie N. Holmberg:




πŸ“š

Dear Universe/ Anybody reading this who happens to work in the publishing industry, 
I LOVE book mail.
Sincerely, A girl who's book addiction is greater than her bank account. 
πŸ˜‰

πŸ“š

But Wait! Here are some more books that came out today that I am excited about!

EnchantΓ©e by Gita Trelease (Hardcover, $18.99)*
Courting Darkness by Robin LaFevers (Hardcover, $17.99)*
When You Read This by Mary Adkins (Hardcover, $26.99)*
The Brethren by Robert Merle (Paperback, $16.95)
The Deceivers by Kristen Simmons (Hardcover, $17.99)*
The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin (Paperback, $16.00)*
More Than Words by Jill Santopolo (Hardcover, $25.00)*
The Belles by Dhonielle Clayton (Paperback, $10.99)*
Black Leopard, Red Wolf by Marlon James (Hardcover, $30.00)*
Text Me When You Get Home by Kayleen Schaefer (Paperback, $16.00)*
The Ruin of Kings by Jenn Lyons (Hardcover, $24.99)*
The Waning Age by S.E. Grove (Hardcover, $18.99)*
Tell Me Lies by Carola Lovering (Paperback, $16.99)*
The Queen's Rising by Rebecca Ross (Paperback, $9.99)*
Dark of The West by Joanna Hathaway (Hardcover, $18.99)*
Binti: The Complete Trilogy by Nnedi Okorafor (Hardcover, $26.00)

πŸ“š

And Remember: 
* = Available as an Audiobook with Libro.fm
Physical books are available to order from Moon Palace Books , or your favourite indie bookstore
Prefer Ebooks? Check out Kobo

πŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“š

Comments