All Are Welcome In This Neighborhood

This week I am writing about Internment by Samira Ahmed, and A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood by Fred Rogers, along with some book mail that I have received in the past week.

After reading two intense books back to back, Shout and Internment, I am feeling a bit emotionally depleted. Both books are so incredibly powerful and poignant. I think that these books are important. And although not for everyone, I want as many people to read them as possible. To talk about them, connect with them, learn from them,


✊ Internment by Samira Ahmed (Hardcover, $17.99)* ✊


I had decided to read and write about Internment, several weeks back.  This story feels more important than ever, especially after the horrific tragedy in New Zealand. 

The word that keeps sticking in my mind when trying to describe this book is Heart-wrenching.


(the same photo of my copy that I used as a teaser on Instagram)

Imagine being torn away from everything you have known and loved your whole life. Imagine having no way to communicate with your loved ones. Imagine being denied your right to speak up for yourself, or others. Imagine being blindly hated for nothing more than existing.

That is what life has become for Layla Amin, her family, and every Muslim person in Internment's America. What's scary is that this book may be labeled as dystopian,  but it's not. It is happening right now, right here, and around the world.

Internment takes a glimpse at would could be possible if a Muslim Ban was enforced . If a Religions registry was required. If the Government decided to do to the Muslim community what it did to the Japanese community during WWII. 

Like I said, terrifying. 

It doesn't take much anymore to incite fear in the world. And yet, there is still hope within the atrocity of it all. 

This book is about what could happen. What can't happen. What is already happening.

What comes next, is up to us. I hope that it is lead with love, and compassion.


For More Samira Ahmed



🚎 A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood by Fred Rogers (Hardcover, $19.99)* ðŸšŽ


Speaking of love and compassion, 
let's start with the comforting words of Fred Rogers.

This book is a printed collection of the poems and songs of Fred Rogers from his unforgettable Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. With added illustrations of the beloved characters.



(Logo taken from https://www.misterrogers.org/)

This book is perfect for feel good nostalgia, gifting, or both! As a matter of fact, I not only have a copy of this book for myself but I instantly ordered another copy, just for my nieces.

I mostly caught the show as a kid in bits and pieces. An episode here, an episode there. But there was enough there to remember as I grew up. It has been fun, especially now with my nieces, to rediscover the charm and wonder of the show. 

The past year or so has seen a real resurgence of all things Fred Rogers. From a show for Daniel Tiger, movies (starring Tom Hanks!) and documentaries going behind the scenes, to books about the man himself.


Although I have yet to see the documentary Won't You Be My Neighbor, I did read, or rather listened to, the book The Good Neighbor by Max King. The audiobook itself is narrated by the one and only LeVar Burton (Known for being the face of Reading Rainbow), and it starts with the audio of Fred Rogers singing the opening theme to the hit show. 

So, right off of the bat, HOLY NOSTALGIA FEELS. 


(The Audiobook is available through Libro.Fm)

The biography, in line with Fred Rogers himself, is fascinating; looking into the history of the man and the mind behind the hit children's show. It does so with respect, as well as depth. I learned so much, and gained a renewed respect for not only Fred Rogers, but the impact that he created.

In a world filled with pain, anger, and hate...Fred Rogers still has the ability to remind us that it is never too late to share a bit of kindness to the world, and perhaps make a new friend along the way.

Fun side note about LeVar Burton, is that he has a podcast where he reads short stories. So it's almost like Reading Rainbow, but for adults! Link after this photo:


(my arc)

For More Mister Rogers:

For More Reading Rainbow:

For More LeVar Burton:

📬Book Mail Is The Best Kind Of Mail.📬

This week's Book Mail is brought to you by Owl Crate and The Book Fairies.


I had someone ask me the other day what exactly I mean when I say "Book Mail". Pretty much, it is whenever I get something in the mail that is book related. Whether it be A literary enamel pin, a book that I ordered, or books that a publisher has kindly sent me.


I have been getting boxes from Owl Crate for... about a year now? It is a monthly ya subscription box that includes at least one book, a signed first edition, and then accessories and non-book products that match the theme of the book.

This month's box a bunch of fun stuff,  including Astrid Scholte's Four Dead Queens, a travel mug, a candle, a sticker, a bookmark, a pencil, an enamel pin, and a bag. I technically already owned a copy of this book, but it was the arc, and this finished edition is signed and has an exclusive cover. I really want to read this book, I just haven't gotten to it yet.

My first book box was called Muse Monthly, however they shuttered their operations only 2 years in. They were cool because not only was this at the start of the book box boom, but this was a box that specifically supported diversity in their authors.  I was quite bummed when they stopped.


The three boxes that I subscribe to consistently are Owl Crate, Lit Joy Crate, and now The Book Fairies Box.

The Book Fairies is a brand new one - they just sent out their first box!




This box included: a British copy of  Vox by Christina Dalcher, a "Book Fairy Survival Kit" (stickers for books), a bookmark, a candle, a mini book on mindfulness,  some chocolate, a bracelet.... quite a few things!

First launched in March 2017, The Book Fairies, although British originated, have spread their wings globally. They started out by providing stickers and ribbons, "hiding" free books for readers in public places.  A companion of sorts to the Little Free Library.


I first learned about The Book Fairies when Emma Watson teamed up with them to provide free copies of The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood in 2017. The book at the time was the pick for her Feminist Book Club, Our Shared Shelf.


I really want to try a few other boxes, however I am already stretching my budget for the boxes I am currently getting, and  a couple of the boxes I am interested in include international shipping, which essentially doubles them in price. So, that won't happen for awhile.

So far, I have really only had I think two double ups on titles? Which is a risk, but so far rare enough, that I'm not too worried. Also, my bookstore takes used books for store credit...



For More Of  Owl Crate:
Instagram

For More Astrid Scholte:

Website
Twitter
Instagram

For More Of The Book Fairies:
Instagram

For More Christina Dalcher

Website
Twitter
Instagram

For More Of Our Shared Shelf:

Websites for the Other Boxes Mentioned and Desired:
I mean, there are so many more....


🌱Also, Happy  It's Finally Officially Spring This Week Everyone!🌱

📚BUT WAIT! THERE ARE MORE BOOKS!📚

The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X.R. Pan (Paperback, $10.99)*

Girl With Sharp Sticks by Suzanne Young (Hardcover, $18.99)*
Poetree by Shauna LeVoy Reynolds (Hardcover, $17.99)
Explorer Academy : The Falcon's Feather by Trudi Trueit (Hardcover, $16.99)
Make Me A City by Johnathan Carr (Hardcover, $30.00)*
Tyler Johnson Was Here by Jay Coles (Paperback, $10.99)*
Sherwood by Meagan Spooner (Hardcover, $17.99)*
Tangled In Time: The Portal by Kathryn Lasky (Hardcover, $16.99)*
This Is Me by Chrissy Metz (Paperback, $16.99)*
The Art of The City: Rome, Florence, Venice by Georg Simmel (Paperback, $18.00)
The Wagon Train Trek by Jesse Wiley (Paperback, $7.99)
The Club by Takis Wurger (Hardcover, $26.00)*
Mem by Bethany C. Morrow (Paperback, $15.99)*

Support Independent Bookstores!
Order Physical Copies From Moon Palace Books (Or your favourite local indie)
Listen To The AudioBooks through Libro.fm
Get The E-Books from Kobo Books

BONUS.
My shelf-talker about Internment, adapted from this post.



Comments