Feminists and Fairies

Now, I know that the first Tuesday of each month has a great number of new releases, but holy Captain Marvel! this month is really attacking my already infinite TBR. 
📚+📚+📚+📚+📚+📚+📚+📚+📚+📚...
What's happening this week?
 I talk about feminism!
 I talk about fairies!
This coming Thursday (March 7th) is World Book Day!
This coming Friday, (March 8th) is International Women's Day!

So, let's get to it!

📚📚📚📚📚
The Women's Suffrage Movement by Sally Roesch Wagner (Paperback)*




Next year, 2020, will be the centennial year for the 19th amendment. This amendment to the constitution made it nationally established that women have the legal right to vote.  
So it makes sense that several books on the Women's Suffrage Movement are coming out not only this month, but through out the year.

Along with Sally Roesch Wagner's The Women's Suffrage Movement, Elaine Weiss's The Woman's Hour, Angela P Dodson's Remember The Ladies and Tina Cassidy's Mr. President, How Long Must We Wait? are just a few that came out this week! 

Before getting into the book, here is a little history about me...

Some of my absolute favourite classes were within the women's studies program at my college.

It all started with me enrolling in an intro class, mainly because it filled a requisite for graduation. Next thing I knew, not only was doing really well in that class, but the teacher encouraged me to join the feminist club on campus. Which led to:

~Completing the full women's studies program (that was available at the time)
~Writing one of my favourite creative writing pieces (and got an A+)
~Becoming co-chair of the feminist club on campus
~Meeting one of my best friends and mentor
~Getting to travel to Washington D.C. - Twice
~Meeting GLORIA STEINEM, ELEANOR SMEAL, TERRY TEMPEST WILLIAMS, ROXANE GAY and so many other inspiring women
~Planning and running a rather successful 1 Billion Rising event on campus
~Becoming a senator on the Student Body Senate
~Starting to finally gain self confidence and a real sense of who I could be...

(photo of me after  the 1 Billion Rising event. circa 2012)

As great as the program was for me at the time, I admit, that it was very safe in its subject coverage. 
The world has continued to change and grow, and unforutnaely the academic world  hasn't quite kept up with the pace of evolution. My friend and mentor, among many great things, is a teacher within that program, and she has been making great strides to work within the department to make it more inter-sectional.
One thing that is great about our friendship (and my job), is that they both allow me to keep a toe in the program. Always on the look out for new books to recommend - not only for  my reading but to potentially suggest as supplemental resources for the feminist classroom.

As soon as I got my hands on The Women's Suffrage Movement, I knew that I would be talking to my friend about it. I am also talking about it with my co-workers and customers at the bookstore.

Not only a big part of feminist history, but a major part of American history, the suffrage movement is a big topic of discussion. Traditionally, classrooms tend to focus on a few key figures from within the movement. And while these women are incredibly important, they weren't the only women worth noting. It takes a village. It takes a country. (For some, it takes a binder full... -too soon?)

Because there is so much history, and there are so many moving parts, so many important details tend to get glossed over, or skipped entirely. This is especially harmful to education and society, because what does remain, and has become the standard, is a narrow and almost singular perspective. Which is not how history works. It's not how learning and growth work.

What's great about this book is that it includes so much more of what actually happened before and during the Suffrage Movement. Shifting the focus, and diversifying. Yes, acknowledging those traditionally key figures, but then discussing their source of inspiration, support, and co-leadership -> the women and communities of colour. 

This book is so packed with information, that it kind of reads a bit like a textbook. With that said, it makes my almost want to go back to school. Now, for anybody who knows me, that is saying something.

I am someone who loves learning new things. I am information driven; I am always looking things up and falling down research rabbit holes. This book has reignited my excitement for learning.
(Me reading my copy while my niece was sleeping. She's a feminist too.)

For More Sally Roesch Wagner:



For More Information on 1 Billion Rising:


📚📚📚📚📚
The Cottingley Fairies by Ana Sender (Hardcover, $17.95)


When I saw that a picture book about this was being published, I was so excited. Unfortuantely, I found myself  disappointed with this book.

Given that it is trying to tell the story of two girls who brought magic and wonder to their community with the fairies that they photographed, the book itself lacked... magic.

If you are not yet familiar with the story, two cousins, Elsie and Frances,  who in 1917 took a couple of photos of the fairies from the nearby woods of Cottingley.  These photographs grabbed international attention, including from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. There was quite a bit of debate on whether or not the fairies were real.  It caused quite a stir.

(the one photo that they stood firm on saying was real. photo via wikipedia)

It was later revealed that that the girls created the fairies seen in all but one of the photos. But they stood firm on the overall existence of fairies in those woods. And honestly, it doesn't matter if they are real or not. They gave people hope in dark times.

As mentioned in the previous post, this story was adapted into a movie in the early nineties. It was also one of my absolute favourite movies. 


It's interesting, remembering something so clearly from my childhood, then rediscovering it as an adult. Along with it, noticing everything I glossed over or forgot. 

The story has a much  more melancholic tone to it than I realized. As a kid, I was so focused on the magic and the idea that Fairies were indeed real.

And that is the magic of the storytelling. For the child, it is important to believe and be inspired by the magic. For the adult, it is important to protect and encourage that magic of imagination and childhood innocence.

And that is something that I feel that the book missed out on. It was so focused on presenting facts, and even then, the text was so scarce, that so much was left out.

As you can see, I am not a particular fan of children's books that say that fairies aren't real. 

For More Ana Sender:



For More About The Cottingley Fairies:



📚📚📚📚📚

But Wait! There are more books!

Shades of Magic Graphic Novel Volume #1 by V.E.Schwab (Paperback, $16.99)
Prince Charming by Rachel Hawkins (Paperback, $10.99)*
Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid (Hardcover, $27.00)*
The Whiz Mob and The Grenadine Kid by Colin Meloy & Carson Ellis (Paperback, $8.99)*
Opposite of Always by Justin A. Reynolds (Hardcover, $17.99)*
Era of Ignition by Amber Tamblyn (Hardcover, $25.00)*
Wonder Woman: Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo (Paperback, $10.99)*
King's Cage by Victoria Aveyard (Paperback, $12.99)*
The Woman's Hour by Elaine Weiss (Paperback, $18.00)*
Remember The Ladies, by Angela P. Dodson (Paperback, 15.99)*
Lovely War by Julie Berry (Hardcover, $18.99)*
The Queen's Resistance, Rebecca Ross (Hardcover, $17.99)*
Blood Water Paint by Joy McCullough (Paperback, $10.99)*
When All is Said by Anne Griffin (Hardcover, $26.99)*
In Another Time by Jillian Cantor (Paperback, $16.99)*
Women by Mihail Sebastian (Paperback, $15.99)
Follow This Thread by Henry Eliot (Hardcover, $18.00)
The Women's War by Jenna Glass (Hardcover, $28.00)*
Star Wars: Queen's Shadow by E. K. Johnston (Hardcover, $17.99)
I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter by Erika L. Sanchez (Paperback, $11.99)*
The Sun is Also A Star by Nicola Yoon (Paperback, $12.99)*
Restore Me by Tahereh Mafi (Paperback, $10.99)*
The Everlasting Rose by Dhonielle Clayton (Hardcover, $17.99)*
Istanbul: A Tale of Three Cities by Bettany Hughes (Paperback, $25.99)*
Woman 99 by Greer Macallister (Hardcover, $25.99)*
Heavy  by Kiese Laymon (Paperback, $16.00)*
📚📚📚📚📚


And Remember: 
* = Available as an Audiobook with Libro.fm
Physical books are available to order from Moon Palace Books , or your favourite indie bookstore
Prefer E-Books? Check out Kobo

📚📚📚📚📚

BONUS!
(Me talking with Gloria Steinem back in 2013!)

Comments