Hell Hath No Fury Like A Woman...

As we sail into spring and the last week of the month, I have a couple more books to talk before April comes crashing in.

This post I will be talking about The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe by Ally Condie, and The Killing Eve Series by Luke Jennings. I am excited to finally have the excuse chance to talk about these!

I am so excited that spring, and with it warmer weather, is finally arriving - and sticking around. My mood is instantly better. I am even writing more (not just blog posts!)

This month has also proven to be more social for me. Several of my friends seem to be coming out of hibernation. It is pretty incredible. I really hope this continues.

🚢The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe by Allie Condie (Hardcover, $18.99)*🚢


I was lucky enough to get an extremely advanced copy of this book at the Heartland Fall Forum (A bookseller's trade show) back in October.


Having not yet read anything by Ally Condie prior to The Last Voyage, I picked up the book without any expectations, just curiosity.

Sometimes not knowing what to expect is the best.

The Last Voyage is the story is of a young woman, Poe Blythe, who at one time, had the goal of escaping her known world with the boy that she loved. Then, he is killed, changing everything in an instant. The story picks up years later, where she has closed her self off, focusing on seeking revenge for his death; even though that means working for the same powers that be that they were trying to escape from. Next thing she knows, she is the captain of the ship she designed, and not a single clue as to whom she can trust...

The world building is interesting in this book. Hints here and there of an old world, what might have once been our world. But nothing specific to truly tie it down to a specific place. Parts reminded me of WWII artwork and metal work, but then there was futuristic technology too. Condie did what I thought was a pretty cool job at giving just enough of the world for substance and imagery sake, but also leaving the reader imagining and wondering about more...

Although Ally Condie herself has said that the book is a stand alone, I would be curious to see if she expands the world, story wise. I don't think that there would necessarily be enough for the same main character, Poe Blythe; however I would be open to other characters taking the fore front - hearing their stories and perspectives. 

Until then, maybe I should read The Matched Trilogy?


For More Ally Condie:


🔪Killing Eve: No Tomorrow by Luke Jennings (Paperback, $14.99)*🔪


Killing Eve is perhaps more well known for the TV show than the books, although technically the books came first. From my understanding, the show writers had copies of the manuscripts when they were shaping the episodes, and show over all.

Usually, I am someone who doesn't really care which format someone takes in first. Book versus Screen Adaptation. They both tend to have their merits, and artistic differences.

That said, Killing Eve, might be my one exception.  I would recommend watching the award winning TV show first. At least with season one and book one - Killing Eve: Codename Villanelle.  It is currently available to watch on Hulu.


A different sense of presentation I suppose. The show I feel did a masterful job of weaving the perspectives, revealing clues here and there, creating suspense and keeping the mystery very much intact. Some of the facts and details that I appreciated being held out until the last episodes, and even still not yet exposed, were presented right off of the bat in the book.  The book had it's own way of telling the story, but it was in a way that I felt was supplemental to the show; rather than the other way around.

The basic synopsis is that Eve Polastri ( brilliantly portayed by Sandra Oh in the TV show) is an under appreciated member of the  British Intelligence, despite her aptitude to the point of obsession about a potential female assassin.

Enter, Villanelle said female assassin,( portrayed by Jodie Comer, also incredible.) who, as of yet seems to have gone undetected. She is also considered one of the best in her profession. When she gets wind that someone might finally be on to her, she in turn becomes obsessed.

Both women are brilliant and  flawed and slightly unhinged.


I have been thinking about why I like Killing Eve so much. So far, my top reason, is the human dynamics. The characters are so perfectly flawed. Over the years I have seen a decent amount of spy thrillers and the like, and they tend to get so theatrical. I enjoy me some James Bond et al, but it has become somewhat... stereotypical. Nothing wrong with that per say, but Killing Eve just has that extra edge, that grit of human reality. It's not all brooding and sex. It's social awkwardness, wonderfully bad jokes, and desk jobs.

Granted, I don't actually have any experience in the spy world, so what do I really know? ðŸ•µ️


Killing Eve: No Tomorrow, which is the second book, came out this week. Although, I haven't read this one, yet, it will be interesting to see if it plays out the same way as the first book and first season did.

Either way, I'm in.

Season Two premieres April 7th on BBC America
(From Twitter)

For More Luke Jennings:

For More Killing Eve:

Website

Twitter

Instagram

📚BUT WAIT! MORE BOOKS!📚

The Queens Of Innis Lear by Tessa Gratton (Paperback, )*
The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert (Paperback, $10.99)*
The Library of Lost and Found by Phaedra Patrick (Hardcover, $24.99)*
Make Trouble by Cecile Richards (Paperback, $16.00)*
Burnout by Emily Nagoski & Amelia Nagoski (Hardcover, $27.00)*
Once & Future by Cori McCarthy & Amy Rose Capetta (Hardcover, $18.99)*
Chaucer's People by Liza Picard (Hardcover, $27.95)*
Killing November by Adriana Mather (Hardcover, $17.99)*
One Thousand and Once Ghosts by Alexandre Dumas (Paperback, $10.95)


STAY TUNED ON FRIDAY FOR A POST ABOUT DESSA!

Comments