Just Read, Just Write: A Jam Packed June Post

How is it possible that Summer is officially here?  Wow, 2019 is flying! (And I don't even work at the airport anymore!😉)

So much has been happening in the last couple of months (mostly good things)!
I apologize for not getting around to posting anything.

I keep trying to get this entry "perfect" before posting it, when really I just need to put it up. Flaws and all. So here goes...

I am really trying to get back into a reading swing.

I actually had a peer the other day suggest/ imply that I read 15 hours a day. I WISH! Then, perhaps, I wouldn't feel as overwhelmed with my reading (or lack there of at times).

While I won't go into detail about my life, how about this: I will highlight a couple of things that have happened since the last post. One for each month?

📚📚📚📚📚

INDEPENDENT BOOKSTORE DAY!

...A day that was created to celebrate independent bookstores, this year landing on the 27th of April. One could argue that everyday  is Independent Bookstore Day... but it is always fun to have at least one special day to party.



On this particular IBD, I got to see so many incredible and familiar faces. Including (but not limited to) One of my favourite college professors/ teachers! What I think might be the best part of the day for me was when she came into the store.

Better yet, was that she  seemed so genuinely excited to see me. She even rushed around the counter and through the crowd just so that she could give me a big hug. I took a creative writing class with her, and it was invaluable.

 That's just one of the great things about working in a neighborhood bookstore; I get to see so many great and familiar faces. Some are new friends, some are long lasting friends.

Another really cool thing about where I work, was that as part of IBD, we had the Great Twin Cities Poetry Read. While there was a great roster of poets, my favourite had to be Ifrah Mansour

I was first introduced to Ifrah's work when she performed at a rally a few years ago. I was blown away by the piece. I was thrilled about she performing the same piece for IBD . Still stunning.



📚📚📚📚📚

WORDPLAY!

The Inaugural Wordplay Literary Festival happened right here in the Twin Cities about  month ago now (May 11th  & 12th). It is organized by The Loft Literary Center, and more specifically, Steph Opitz. 

Over 10,000 people showed up, and again, some familiar faces...









In addition to the people, I wrote an on the spot book related haiku:


But it wasn't all fun and games. Along with a few co-workers, we sold many many books. (As one does as a bookseller.) It was extremely fun! Including the spreadsheet that I was asked to make in preparation for the bookstore's participation in the festival. ( I may have been a little too excited about the spreadsheet. If that's even possible...)

It was incredible, It was exhausting, I can't wait until next year!

📚📚📚📚📚

BIG BOUNCE OF AMERICA!


Channeling the kid at heart, I got to spend some time in the world's largest bouncy house! I beat my "opponent" in the obstacle course! Although, it was a not easily done. I do not have the bouncy house stamina of a kid anymore. Thankfully, no one else there did either. We were all out of shape together!


Unfortunately, The bouncy house ended up getting the better of my partner in crime and we ended up spending the rest of the evening in the Emergency Room. NO WORRIES though! He is on the (very slow) mend! Curses Bouncy House "Rock" Climbing Wall!


📚📚📚📚📚

BIG SHOUT OUT TO REGAN MCDONELL!

I am so proud of Regan! Her debut novel, Black Chuck, has not only been chosen as a White Pine Honour Book by the OLA's Forest of Reading, it has also just been announced that it made the long-list for Sunburst Award! ðŸŽ‰

 Black Chuck ðŸ“•ðŸ“±

📚📚📚📚📚

Before I end this post, here  are a  just few books that are currently on my TBR list:

An Impossible Distance To Fall by Miriam McNamara
- Sale Date: July 4th. Available for Pre-Order:📕📱
* My store will be doing a book event with the author in July 11th!

The Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo
 - Sale Date: October 1st. Available for Pre-Order: ðŸ“•ðŸ“±ðŸŽ§

Mio, My Son by Astrid Lindgren
 -  Available now: ðŸ“•ðŸ“±
📚📚📚📚📚

Until the next post, here is a bouquet of flowers:

HAPPY PRIDE WEEKEND EVERYONE!

(ALL PHOTOS IN THIS POST ARE MINE)

Comments