🐸 Leaping Right Into The Books 🐸

Overall, February was a good book month for me. The first week I read quite a bit, and quickly too. The same goes for the last week. The middle weeks.... well, I read a lot of picture books. But hey, that counts in my books! 😉
.  .  .  .  .
Since I have a lot to talk about I will get right to it - This post will contain:


TWO YEARS & ONE DANEZ SMITH STORY (Homie by Danez Smith)
HOW THE STREET WHERE YOU LIVE CAME TO BE (The Address Book by Deirdre Mask)
DEVOURING SIN EATER (Sin Eater by Megan Campisi)
RAMBLINGS ON ROMANCE (The Ones Who Got Away Series by Roni Loren/ Pride by Ibi Zoboi)
EMILY HAS A BOOKSHOP NOW (KIND OF)

.  .  .  .  .

February Book Stats:
1 Nonfiction
4 Fiction
8 Picture Books
2 Graphic Novels

.  .  .  .  .

Two Years & One Danez Smith Story

I want to start this post with an event that actually happened in January. At the tail end of last month, local poet Danez Smith had a book launch for their latest collection of poetry, Homie.

©Emily Kallas


But our story  technically doesn't begin there. It begins a couple of years ago (2018), back when I was working at the bookstores at the airport.  I had been working hard to create  and maintain connections with authors and customers for the store via twitter. One of those connections was with Danez - who at the time was on an award winning tour for their collection of poetry, Don't Call Us Dead. 

My coworkers and I thought that it would be pretty  incredible if while on one of the many connections through the airport, Danez could in at our store to sign copies of their book and to say "hey." I even reached out to them on social media with an informal invitation and encouragement. They responded with excitement, but with one challenge- they kept flying out of the other  local airport terminal. 

That's actually the only thing that I miss about working at the airport - never knowing which author or Hollywood celebrity was going to stroll into the bookstore.

©Emily Kallas

By June 8th, one of the coworkers had long since quit the airport. When Danez came finally walked into the store, my other coworker was on her break. But Danez was excited to finally make it to the store, and to sign the few copies we had in stock.  When my coworker came back from her break about 10-15 minutes later, she was livid about missing Danez. For two years, I couldn't mention Danez Smith without her grumbling or harumphing about missing Danez in the airport. It became a story.  And although I am no longer at the airport, my (now former) coworker and I are still good friends.  

As soon as it was officially announced that Danez was having the launch party for Homie at the bookstore where I currently work, I immediately sent my her an email. She was not going to miss them again!

The event at Moon Palace was packed to the point of overflowing. Danez and the two other local poets who read were incredible. There were tears, there was laughing, there was an audience in complete awe. Danez Smith has won several awards for their work for a very clear reason, they are damn talented. 

And so, two and half years later, my friend finally got to meet Danez Smith. and she's very happy.😀


©Emily Kallas

.  .  .  .  .

How The Street Where You Live Came To Be

©Emily Kallas

This month's reading started out very strongly. Someway, somehow, I read two great books in less than four days! It usually takes me an average of a week - per book. Longer with non-fiction. However, I could not put this book down, and I am still thinking about it - almost a month later.


Street addresses, for many of us, are a part of our everyday lives. Things that we don't even really think about. And yet, their history is fascinating! How they are named, why they are named, how they are used, what they represent.

With great journalistic approach, Deirdre Mask travels the roads of the world, discovering and sharing with the reader, different ways that maps of all kinds shape and impact our world. From the slums of Kolkata, by way of ancient Rome, through Chicago as we know it today and many other places around the world, after reading this book, you won’t think about where you live, or your commute to work the same way ever again!

 (↑Sneak Peak at my future shelf talker for the book↑)

There is a segment of the book where Mask talks about the vici of Ancient Rome and how each one had to have certain municipalities within - in order to maintain vitality. When I was reading this, a clear image of the buildings and neighborhoods came to mind. And with that clear image, a distinct memory of a computer game that I played when I was a kid popped to mind as well.

Way back in 1998, when my sister and I shared a desktop computer, one of the games that we spend many hours playing was Caesar III. It was a city planning simulation game set in you guessed it, Ancient Rome, or well, Italy as a whole rather. I actually played a few games like this as a kid. 


It was fun realizing that a game from my childhood would come back, and help my understanding of things as an adult. Edutainment at its best!

Main image
(not my photo. found via basic google image search)



.  .  .  .  .

Devouring Sin Eater

©Emily Kallas


As I mentioned earlier, it takes me about a week or so to read a book from cover to cover.


So, I think it says something of a book when I read it, start to finish, in 2 days. And so promptly after another fantastic book (The Address Book by Deirdre Mask)!

Stealing bread to survive, May Owens is caught and imprisoned. She is then sentenced a fate deemed worse than death: to become one of the city's "Sin Eaters". The least desirable job by societies standards, shunned to never be spoken to or even acknowledged; May's job now is to eat specific foods to represent the various sins of the dying or newly deceased.

Recognizably inspired by a commoner's Tudor-Elizabethan town, Megan Campisi mixes in her own spices, adding an almost fantasy-like tone to the story. Campisi's writing style has the right amount of richness and sparsity creating appetite for the story, compelling the reader to keep reading and quench that craving, low rumbling hunger. Unlike the other town folk, you wan't be able to look away from May Owens.
 (↑Sneak Peak at my future shelf talker for the book↑)

My one wish it that the book wasn't so heavy handed in the Tudor-Elizabethan references/allusions. Compelling story other wise.

I am also not a fan of the copy on the back of the book (the publisher's description)  comparing it as "...The Handmaid's Tale meets Alice In Wonderland..."   Not only is that a major stretch in comparisons, I also feel that it is unfair to the book. I mean, maybe since she is forced into a servitude that is reserved for women for The Handmaid's Tale, and the fact that there is a portion of the story set within the royal court and has a cruel queen, maybe for Alice In Wonderland? but the comparability pretty much ends there. 

Because of the mention of Alice,  I was initially hoping to suggest this to my Alice In Wonderland obsessed friend. Now, after reading the book, that won't be why I recommend it.



.  .  .  .  .

Ramblings On Romance


In the previous post, I mentioned that I started a romance book club where I currently work. The first meeting was back in September, and it came about from a few different avenues. 
Last August was the first Bookstore Romance Day  - a day dedicated to promote reading romance novels with independent bookstores across the country.  I'm lucky enough to work in one of the only bookstores in the great state of Minnesota to celebrate.


©Emily Kallas


Several readers participated that day- it was great! I wore red, and created dedicated displays with  both clearly romance novels, as well as books with romance subplots within them. The feedback was positive and there was expressed interest in someone setting up a book club in the area. ding ding ding!  My boss and I got to work!




©Emily Kallas
Our first pick was The Lady's Guide To Celestial Mechanics by Olivia Waite - paired with the Great Big Romance Read, which itself was created a couple of years ago by The Ripped Bodice Bookstore - The first and one of only two Romance dedicated bookstores in the country. Someday I will get to visit that store....

Any way - fast forward to this past week...
©Emily Kallas
On February 23rd, the day before my granny's birthday (she is my inspiration in many ways, including reading romance), the romance book club met to discuss, The One For You,  the final book in Roni Loren's latest contemporary series. I talked about the series briefly in an early post last year, A Couple Of Books To Start Us Off In 2019.

A quick recap here: Four friends in their early thirties are brought together (in book one) for a documentary about the tragic events that took place 12 years prior. Each friend deals with aftermath in different ways, and they find love in their own ways as well. The humor, chemistry, and heart in each book is fresh, unique and realistic. 

Each book can be read on its own without being completely lost and confused. (However I recommend reading all of them, they are worth the read!)


So you can only imagine how excited I have been by the fact that Roni Loren joined us via Skype for part of the discussion!

As soon as I found out that this was even a possibility, I began freaking out. This was an incredible opportunity, and the fact that it was with an author who I greatly admire, was even better.

The skype call and conversation went great, and the book club lasted over 2 hours! What I like about the romance book club is that yes, there are a few wonderful regular attendees but there is also always someone new - new to the club or new to the romance genre. I really do try to make the book club welcoming to anyone and everyone, and I am always excited when we meet and get to talk about books!

©Emily Kallas

The photo above shows part of the Skype call, the book that we discussed, as well as the next  pick for March - Pride  by Ibi Zoboi. I look forward to writing about that book more in the next post.




  .  .  .  .  .


Emily Has A Bookshop Now (Kind Of) 

One last thing until next month. There is a new website, Bookshop.Org. created partially intended to counter act the dreaded Amazon *shutters*, but primarily to find additional ways to support independent bookstores and authors.  That means that you can buy every book that I have mentioned on this blog. And have them shipped directly to you! And there will be a discount! 

The website is still in beta (they are that new!) But I am extremely excited. I have looked into their mission, and I am hopeful with their offerings. 

If you want to have a better understanding as to why I have an issue with Amazon Corp., I recommend reading How To Resist Amazon And Why by Danny Caine. 

©Emily Kallas


.  .  .  .  .

BONUS:

You may have also noticed a few new links on the side of the blog... →

There are a handful of products that I go to time and time again, and I keep seeing on their pages notices about giving friends discounts. Well, congrats! You are officially my friend now. You now get a discount for things I like, and think you might be interested in too!
What are these, you ask?
Book Beaus are really nice protectors of books, kobos, notebooks and more. The come in different sizes, and with a ever changing collection of designs on them. I have been buying these for a few years now - for myself as well as for others. They make great gifts! Also, the company is created and run by one pretty bad ass woman.

Book Beau Referral Code: Code Link
©Emily Kallas



LitJoy Crate is a subscription book box. In addition to a new signed young adult book, each box also includes a collection of nice quality accessories that are actually functional! They have enamel pins, socks, scarves, notebooks, candles....the list goes on.


($5 off) Lit Joy Crate Referral Code: Code Link



©Emily Kallas


See You Next Time!


Comments