A Year In A Month, A Decade In A Day.

...A Personal Note...

I went into work the other day only to be greeted by my boss with a "you should apply for unemployment after your shift." No, not fired, but laid off. Like so many people across the country, across the world.

Books have always been a safe space for me - a place to go, hide, explore, discover. But in this moment, I am struggling to feel protected. But they, the books aren't failing me. Its the current state of the world that is failing me.  Failing all of us.

I am someone who is relatively smart with her money, but still lives paycheck to paycheck. One check alone no longer covers all of my monthly expenses... What am I going to do now? What are any of us going to do?

Although my anxiety and depression seem to be going in these constant waves - and with increased frequency- I am determined to believe that we will get though this- as a society, as a whole. I have to believe it.

In all brutal honesty, the longer the bookstore where I work(ed) is closed, the less likely I will have a job to go back to after all of this.

And yet, for the the health and safety of all, I know and understand and agree that this is the way it must be.

...This is all so surreal. This is the stuff of fiction - of movies and novels. This isn't supposed to be reality. And yet, it is.

So, I suppose what I want to say is that do what you have to do to stay healthy and survive all of this. (And by that, unless you are an absolutely essential worker, stay the f--- home). That we are all in this. We will get through this. We have to.
.
.
.
.
.
...In Possession Of A Good Book...
During the first few days of the nationwide quarantining and practicing social distance, Actress Jennifer Ehle went on Instagram stories and would read a bit of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. For those who don't know, Ehle is perhaps most well known for portraying Elizabeth Bennett in the 1995 BBC adaptation of Pride And Prejudice. She played opposite Colin Firth's Mr. Darcy.

via GIPHY

As I was sharing this discovery with one of my good friends- who is very much an Austenite-  I mentioned that in addition to Ehle's reading of Pride and Prejudice,  I would also love to see, or hear her narrate the book Possession by A.S. Byatt. See, she was also in the film adaptation of that novel, in 2002. In the movie her character says one of my favorite quotes to date.

Possession tells the story of a young scholar, Roland Michell, who finds an unfinished, handwritten letter from his favourite poet, Randolph Henry Ash, to a Christabel LaMotte - another poet of the time.  Up until this discovery, it had never been recorded that the two ever knew each other. With the help of fellow scholar, Maud Bailey (who also happens to be the great-great-great niece of LaMotte), the two are set on a quest to unveil the truth.  Told within both timelines, this story has mystery, romance, art, poetry and passion. What more could you want in a book?!


(copyright: Emily Kallas)

I was somewhat shocked when my friend admitted to the fact that she had never heard of either the book or the movie. How had I been so remiss?!

As I proceeded to tell my friend all about the book, I felt the sudden desire to reread the book. I  promptly got up and searched my overflowing shelves, looking for my own beat up copy. After I finally found my copy, but before I let myself get distracted with reading it, I went online and  I ordered the remaining (used) copy from Moon Palace Books and had the book shipped to her. I mean, any excuse to sent someone some book mail, right? And with only 99¢ shipping...

What was pretty impressive was that she got it the very next day. She even sent me a message about how excited she was to receive it and start reading!

(photo courtesy of my friend.)

Yes, I have about a million books on my TBR, but there is always something comforting about rereading a book. Re-connecting with the familiar. So if you are feeling overwhelmed, especially in these times, may I suggest rereading, or re-watching a favourite book or movie?
.
.
.
.
.

...Missing Some March Reviews...

At the beginning of the month, I had these great plans and outlines of how I was going to shape this month's posts/ reviews. And then... well, Covid-19 happened. And while I successfully read a few books, and genuinely enjoyed them, I was unable to write reviews that I found satisfying enough to share. I kept getting frustrated at my own words. And that's not what this blog is supposed to be like. So, for now, I just want to share with you the books that I loved reading this month:



(copyright: Emily Kallas)
Lobizona by Romina Garber
  Rescheduled To August 4th.



(copyright: Emily Kallas)
Wonder Woman: Tempest Tossed by Laurie Halse Anderson & Leila Del Duca
  publishes June 2nd


(copyright: Emily Kallas)
Mad & Bad: Real Heroines Of The Regency by Bea Koch
publishes June 9th
.
.
.
.
.
BONUS:
One of my shelf talkers from work was published in the local new paper on Sunday March 29th, 2020. It was for the book, The Bromance Book Club by Lyssa Kay Adams . As soon as I saw it, I tweeted about it. Next thing I know, I am getting notifications that Lyssa Kay Adams AND the publisher, Berkley Romance responded! 😍
(copyright: Emily Kallas)

(copyright: Emily Kallas)

Comments